Zimbabweans take pride in being on of the most literate country’s in the world and go into almost any community and you will see the high regard that we take towards education.
It has now become a culture for one to be pushed to excel in school and in some families failing to get to university is a taboo.
They say that a true leader leads from the front and our President is no different in this regard when it comes to education. He is not only classified as the most educated President in the world, but also he is the most educated that has ever taken office!
Mugabe is a qualified teacher, he has a qualification in economics, he is a lawyer, he has master of laws from the University of London’s external programme, he obtained a BA degree in 1951 from Fort Hare University in South Africa, amongst other qualifications.
- Bachelor of Arts (History and English) (BA) degree from the University of Fort Hare (1951)
- Bachelor of Administration (B.Admin) from University of South Africa (Unisa)
- Bachelor of Education (B.Ed) from the University of South Africa (Unisa)
- Bachelor of Science (BSc.) in Economics from University of London
- Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from University of London
- Master of Laws (LL.M) from University of London
- Master of Science (MSc.) in Economics from University of London
The two law degrees were earned while he was in prison (between 1964 and 1975) and the MSc while leading the Zimbabwe Government after independence.
- Honorary LLD degree from Ahmadou Bello University (Nigeria)
- Honorary LLD degree from Morehouse College (Atlanta, Georgia)
- Honorary LLD degree from University of Zimbabwe (Zimbabwe)
- Honorary LLD degree from St. Augustine’s University (Tanzania)
- Honorary LLD degree from Lomonosov Moscow State University (Russia)
- Honorary LLD degree from Solusi University (Zimbabwe)
- Honorary D.Litt. degree from Africa University (Zimbabwe)
- Honorary D.Civil Laws degree from University of Mauritius (Mauritius)
- Honorary Page on d.com. degree from Fort Hare University (South Africa)
- Honorary D.Tech. degree from National University of Science and Technology (Zimbabwe)
- Honorary D.Phil (African Heritage and Philosophy) degree from Great Zimbabwe University (Zimbabwe)
Revoked Honorary Degrees:
- Honorary LLD degree from University of Edinburgh (1994), which was however revoked in June 2007.
- Honorary LLD degree from University of Massachusetts (1986), which was also revoked in June 2008.
- Honorary LLD degree from Michigan State University (1990), and was revoked on 12 September 2008.
Main Image Credit: Politicoscope.com